- ONLY hire a contractor who is Licensed, bonded, insured and has worker's compensation.
- Meet with other contractors to make sure you are choosing the right one for your needs.
- Make sure when comparing contractors that their bids are all the same (equipment, finishes, etc.) this can avoid costly change orders.
- Make sure all items you agreed upon with your contractor is included in the contract. READ your contract thoroughly and understand it before your sign.
- Ask how long your warranty is for and what is covered.
- Collect lien waivers for your records.
- Do not hire an unlicensed, uninsured, non-bonded, contractor.
- Do not sign anything unless you understand it and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Do not make side agreements with subcontractors. This will VOID your warranty. Always consult the general contractor before making any changes to the drawings.
- Do not make final payment until your project is completely finished.